Monday, May 20, 2013

Steampunk Nights - Chapter 5

Record Author: Izyad Mishtan, Acolyte of Osiris
Location:  Ashen – Tent of Kazim

Sheik Kazim drew aside the beaded curtain that separated myself, Mal'Metaf, and Kelbik from the main area of the tent once Antoro left.

“Come in!  We must now have a private discussion!” he said.  “You have questions about the assignment, yes?”

“No, no!” Kelbik yelped in his high-pitched voice.

Mal'Metaf shook his head and I followed.  The specifications of the job seemed clear enough to me.

Kazim turned to the other three adventurers in the room and continued: “And now!  Introductions!”

He pointed at me first.  “This is a warrior cleric who seeks knowledge.  His name is Izyad Mishtan.” 

Sheik Kazim's finger moved to the birdman.  “Here is Kelbik.  His people cast him out, but for no great crime.  Indeed, he has proved himself to be quite trustworthy and of a good heart to me.  He is a great ally to whomever I have had him work with and is quite skilled at scouting.”

Kazim completed his turn and gestured to the warrior.  “And Mal'Metaf – a Dune Walker of no small fame here in Ashen.  He has assisted the Tour Guild in solving many crimes committed by creatures that crept into town from the Wilds.”

“I would be glad to have any of these men at my side during times of trouble,” Kazim said proudly, smiling at the three of us.  Leaning towards us, he spoke in a slightly softer voice, “And do not worry if you are not selected for this task, my friends!  I have another lucrative and interesting job for the pair that remains here in Ashen!”

The portly figure turned back to face the three caravan guards.  “Select the companion you three wish to take with you to Trat.  Antoro spoke truly that you will know who will best complement your skills.”  He then stepped to the side to allow us to be examined and interviewed.

“Mal'Metaf?” Dhaja asked with a cocked head.  “Are you the same Dune Walker that saved the child from the sinkhole at the Lighthouse Monument Oasis last spring?  The half-orc hero?”

“The same,” growled Mal'Metaf.

“I'm worried that our employer may be a bit... hostile towards you because of your heritage, friend,” Fabro said with concern.

“I have dealt with that before.”  The way he said it made me a bit nervous.

“What is your own personal fighting style, then?” Fabro asked, putting both hands behind his back and clasping them.

“Speed and power,” grunted Mal'Metaf.  “Draw the blade quickly and cut down your enemy without further thought.”

Fabro nodded his thanks at this succinct reply.

Nihani spoke up next.  “Kelbik?”

“Kaw-ah?”

“Why were you cast out of the Kenku Empire?”

The small fellow shifted from foot to foot in clear anxiety.  “I can not say, Mistress Nihani.  I have taken an oath not to.”  The olive-skinned woman looked very dissatisfied and pouted slightly.

“These skills that Kazim mentioned?  Would you elaborate on what these might be?” Fabro asked Kelbik.

“Many things!  Many things!” Kelbik said quite happily.  “I am small.  I am quiet.  I can hide.  I can break traps.  I find what is lost, roll behind danger, and stab it in the kidney!  Kaw-ha!”

“Anything else?” Dhaja asked.

“'Anything else?'” Kelbik said in a perfect imitation of the desert mystic's voice.  “Kah-ha-ha!  I am very good at disguises of all kinds!”

Many of us laughed at the expression on Dhaja's face at hearing his own voice come from the small, feathered creature.  Nihani was not impressed or amused however. 

She frowned slightly and turned to me.  “A warrior cleric?” she asked.

I nodded.

“What god do you follow?”

“I am an Acolyte of Osiris.”

All eyes turned to me.  “Who?” came a chorus of questioning voices.

I chuckled without malice.  “I am sure that you have not heard of him here.  But I am a loyal follower of the Green Pharaoh.  He is a double-edged sword.  A god of Death and Retribution.”

“Death?” Fabro said a bit uncertainly with a raised eyebrow.

“So.  All things die eventually – it is only natural.  And Osiris is master of both death and life.  Unlife and rebirth.  Osiris will judge our souls, our Ba as we call it, to determine what punishment or reward has been merited.”

“And that makes your job... what exactly?” Nihani asked.

“As his cleric, I follow his path and strive to prepare all for this inevitable judgment; attempting to help others live a good life, but meting out retribution where murder and other inexcusable crimes have been committed as a way of lowering the punishment such sinners will face when called before Osiris and his scales of judgment.”

“Huh,” Nihani said thoughtfully.  It was difficult to see what any of them were thinking, but I saw no immediate hostility to the basic doctrines of my faith.

“You have studied the ways of healing, I assume?” Dhaja queried.  His red eyes looked at me knowingly as another student of magic.

“Indeed.  Even though there are not many in this land who worship Osiris – he has followers aplenty elsewhere and he grants me a portion of his power to do his will each day.”

Fabro, Nihani, and Dhaja conferred with each other for a moment before turning to face us once more.

“We will take the cleric with us,” Nihani said.  She offered no further explanation, nor was one needed by any. 

I inwardly rejoiced and thanked Osiris for his blessing!  Spending time with such accomplished heroes who were clearly quite knowledgeable about this land and its wonders is just what I prayed for.

Kazim nodded and motioned for Kelbik and Mal'Metaf to return behind the bead curtain to wait.  “It is fine!” he said.  “Antoro Bassini and his caravan will be leaving via the north road in two hours.  Meet up with him there.  Go with the sands, my friends!  And go with safety!  I look forward to hearing of your adventures upon your return!”

Chapter 1               < Chapter 4               Chapter 6 >

No comments:

Post a Comment