Saturday, May 18, 2013

Steampunk Nights - Chapter 3

Record Author: Izyad Mishtan, Acolyte of Osiris
Location:  Ashen – Tent of Kazim

I entered the tent of Kazim and discovered two others already waiting just inside.  A large, broad man with two scimitars crossed on his back – a Dune Walker perhaps?  He had a turban with a heavy chainmail veil that hid most of his facial features.  This man glanced at me from one corner of his eye and dipped his head slightly.  The other figure in the vestibule was a small, black feathered creature with a plume of bright green on his crown.  He was bouncing from foot to foot in an almost comical manner, his long beak swaying in time to his motion.

“Do you work for Kazim, friends?” I asked.

The large fellow nodded silently, but the birdman spoke up at once in a high-pitched squawk.  “Yes, yes!  Doing odd jobs.”

“I am Izyad Mishtan,” I said by way of introduction, “Sheik Kazim said he might be able to find me some adventure to partake of?”

“We also wish to work as guard for the caravan into the wilds,” growled the man in a guttural voice.  “I am Mal’Metaf.”

“Yes, yes!” added the feathered one, “And I am Kelbik – called Shunned by the Kenku.  I wish to see more of the world!”

“But we must wait,” added Mal’Metaf.


“For what?  Is the Sheik not at home yet?  Am I too early?”

“Kaw-ha-ha!” laughed Kelbik.  “No, no!  The Sheik will be offering the job to a group of seasoned adventurers first – a group he has already tested in other tasks.  If there are any more positions open on the guard crew, then we may be invited along.”

“Oh,” I said, somewhat disappointed.

“Fear not,” Mal’Metaf added, seeing my expression.  “Sheik Kazim brokers many such arrangements every day.  Should this one not be in your fate, he will find you other work which will be equally interesting.”

“Hush-hush!  Listen,” Kelbik said in a whisper, bringing a feathered finger to his beak.  “The meeting begins.”

It was true.  On the other side of a curtain of beads, we could clearly hear and see the meeting begin.  Sheik Kazim led into the room from a side entrance a pinch-faced little man with pronounced buckteeth and a weak chin.  Three others followed them into the room who I assumed must be the ‘seasoned adventurers’ that Kelbik mentioned.

“Please, sit, Antoro!” Sheik Kazim said to the scowling man.

Antoro sat with the air of a martyr and tilted his head upwards so he could sneer at the other three people in the room.  “Really?  These are the ones you mentioned, Kazim?”

“Oh, indeed, Antoro!  These three are fine adventurers, and they already know how to work with each other – this is vital if you want guards who can maximize the strengths of the protection they will offer you!”

“We’ve worked together for a long time, Sheik Kazim,” Antoro sighed wearily, “and I know how free you are with praise and compliments.  Those that are not written and promised to be true in a contract, anyway.  So spare me the sales pitch and let’s get to the details.”

Kazim laughed good-naturedly at the sour attitude of Antoro.  “Manners, Antoro!  First we must have introductions!”  The Sheik turned to the three adventures and introduced the shrewish man.  “This is my good friend, Antoro Bassini!  He and I have done business together for years.  As such, I expect that he will be well taken care of by you.”

“I haven’t agreed to hire any of them yet,” Antoro grumbled quietly.  Kazim ignored the remark.

“This is Dhaja,” Kazim said, motioning to a red-haired man with intense eyes.  “He is one of the Alun’a’janni – a child of the fire genies!  His magic and wisdom will protect and heal you on your journey.”

“This is Nihani Stareye,” Kazim said, motioning to a woman in purple robes.  She tossed her head in greeting, causing her long black hair to move like silk.

“She looks rather scrawny to be a caravan guard,” complained Antoro.

“Ah!” exclaimed Kazim, “But you have not met her friend!”

“What friend?  Where?”

“He’s too big to fit inside the tent,” Nihani said with a slight smirk.  “Not many tents can accommodate a 12-foot long, 800-pound glass scorpion.”

“Beastmaster, eh?” Antoro said with interest.  Nihani dipped her head with a smile.

“And last, but by no means least, this is Pichiatello Fabro.  A fully accredited clockwork commander who is recently from one of the finest clockwork academies of the Vincha highlands!  His talents and creations will be of great utility, it is of little doubt.”

“I need four guards, Kazim.  I thought I was quite clear on that point.”

“Do not worry, my friend!” Sheik Kazim soothed.  “I have others waiting in the wings to join this trio that I have hand-picked for you.”  He glanced through the bead curtain to assure himself that what he said was true and nodded to us slightly.  “But first, we must discuss the trivial matters of payment and contracts.”

“A finder’s fee and I must daily pay these mercenaries?  It is unjust, I say!”

“And yet,” Sheik Kazim said amiably, “The terms are already agreed to, set, and signed; fees to myself already paid.  It is quite reasonable: I have taken a modest one-time fee for arranging the meeting between you and these powerful protectors, but certainly you do not expect them to work for nothing?”

“You always take advantage of me,” grumbled Antoro.

“I do not know what you speak of, my friend,” Sheik Kazim said in a hurt tone.

Antoro’s eyebrows arched upwards.  “Really?”

Kazim is about to speak further when Antoro glared at the three curious adventurers still standing before him.  “Please, Kazim, let us not go into these matters in front of… the help.  Tell them the terms, will you?”

The chilly glance with which Nihani graced Antoro with was missed by the man.  Nor did he see the flare of anger mixed with damaged pride in the expression of Dhaja.  The Vincha clockwork commander kept a flat expression on his face.  I myself am glad to have been in the other room at this display of contempt.

Kazim rolled his lips, but attempted to be politic.  “Antoro will not be providing you with arms or armor, but will reimburse you for any ammunition expenses.”

“Only if they shoot when we are under attack however,” Antoro stated flatly, “I’m not paying for their daily practice sessions or anything.”

“This is true,” agreed Sheik Kazim.  “If you should fight, any spoils will go to you as is standard for this kind of work.”

“Unless they happen to tackle the same orcs that jumped us on the way down,” exclaimed Antoro, “I would like to recoup some losses from this becursed journey!”

“Excuse me,” Fabro said, “What was that about orcs?”

Antoro rolled his eyes as he replied, “Really!  Why do you think I’m here?  Do I look like I’m made of gold coins?  The only reason why I’m hiring you at all is because we got ambushed on the way down here.”

“Tell us more,” Dhaja said smoothly, asking just the question I had in my mind.

“Not much to tell.  A large number of orcs hit us from behind.  My assistant had a pair of fancy, matching  T-hand cannons and she held them off while the rest of us ran for it.”

“You just left her?” Nihani accused.  “Alone?”

“It was her choice,” Antoro shrugged.  “She was confident that she would be able to drive them off.”  His eyes hardened after a pause.  “Say, you aren’t accusing me of being a coward are you?” Antoro asked angrily, “Because that woman was the finest assistant and, yes, friend, that I had in Trat!  You adventurers know nothing about it!”

“Calmly, my friend,” Kazim said softly with his hands in the air, “I am certain that no one thinks ill of you.” 

I was not so sure of this myself…

Chapter 1               < Chapter 2               Chapter 4 >

No comments:

Post a Comment