Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Crossover - Chapter 37

Shaddar realizes with dismay that his plans for using the meadhall as his headquarters may have been prematurely laid.  As his number of minions grow, the available rooms to house them is shrinking.  And the number of enemies that he might face is considerably higher than he thought it might be from his initial impression of Big City.  He is glad to be made aware of those that he will need to subdue, but he may not want them knowing how to find him during the later stages of the game.

If he could convince the palehair elders to accept him as their leader, he could move his operation down to their underground palace.  But that will take time.  Hmm…  From what the beguiling ambassador from the Mist of Darkness said, there is a Underdark in this world – he could always travel down and make a lair in some remote portion of that dark land.  But then he would be far from the events he has set into motion here in the city.

He snorts.  If things get so dangerous for him that he must flee to the Underdark, then his plans will have come to naught.  At that point he would do better to begin a long-term plan of building up a hobgoblin and human slave based army, and attack the surface with strength in 15 or 20 years.  Boring.  Still, as a fall back plan, it has merit.

Shaddar listens to the minds of the drow woman’s force retreat and continues to ponder, while his thralls and minions stand nervously, waiting for orders.  He notes that the knocking woke Hawke and he has listened to the conversation with great interest.  The man had no idea that such a frighteningly competent organization existed.

“Competence?” Shaddar thinks, “Yes…  I wonder if I have made an error of assuming that everyone in this world is as foolish and insane as the citizens of Big City.  I suppose it is possible that this city is nothing more than a huge lunatic asylum – where all of the mad folk are forced to live together.  That makes as much sense as any other theory – I need more information!”

Gathering information will take time.  For a moment Shaddar wonders if it would be possible to kidnap a wizard that has enough skill to gate in some demons.  He could let such fiends loose in the city to cover his trail and force his enemies into ignoring him for a time.  But this idea is folly – such a wizard would be far too troublesome to overcome – such a task would take too much time…

“What I need is some time away,” Shaddar decides.  “Yes!  I was already planning on exploring the illithid settlement!  I will go at once and any fools who seek me here shall be disappointed.  I will gain a rest from these troublesome fools, see something more of this Realm, and perhaps learn the information I need from records or artifacts that may yet be located in one of the deep, taboo places that neither human, Lord, nor drow dare to visit.”

Pleased to have made a decision as to what he will do next, Shaddar stands and speaks to his gathered minions, “You may return to your beds – apparently this evening’s activities were somewhat less energetic than I had thought they might become.  You and your men will need your rest, General Kug.”

“How come?” Kug asks.

“Tomorrow we shall leave on an expedition outside of Big City.  A training exercise, if you will.”

Hawke opens the door to join the discussion, wearing a nightcap and a long, robe-like shrift.  “Boss?  I heard what that woman said.  Why are you leaving now?”

Shaddar considers Hawke carefully.  The man is not questioning Shaddar’s bravery, he really wants to know what Shaddar wishes so that he can assist in the fulfillment of his plans.  Of all of his minions, Hawke is by far the most competent.

“I must discover the truth of what was spoken of here tonight.  That and other matters.  It will be a good field exercise for our budding army,” Shaddar explains.

“Do I have to go too, master?” Cutt whines, “I was just getting some progress made on my lab, you know.”

“No, Cutt.  You and Loolipo will remain here to continue with the tasks I have given you and assist my second-in-command,” Shaddar drawls.

There is a bit of consternation in the room at this remark.  Everyone wonders who Shaddar could be referring to.

“Hawke?  I trust you will mind the Guild of Swashbuckling Rogues while I am away?”

Hawke is stunned by this sudden and unsought-for promotion.  “But, Boss!  You don’t want to leave it to me!  I’m blind!”

Shaddar’s tentacles flare in a gesture of recollection, “Yes.  How silly of me to forget that with your devotion to me and my goals, comes a commiserate reward.  We shall discuss that in a moment, but right now all else must retire to obtain the rest needed for our travels on the morrow!”

As the minions move up the stairs, Shaddar ignores the blazing curiosity in the mind of Hawke and mentally commands Cutt to retrieve a few items from his lab.

Once Hawke and Shaddar are alone, the human speaks again, “Boss.  I’m serious.  I can’t do the job – not the way it would need to be done.  I’m flattered that you’d ask, but you need to select someone else.”

“Hawke, really,” Shaddar tut-tuts.  “I should think that by now you know that I have ways of getting what I want.”

The gnome comes back downstairs and casts his magic as Shaddar has ordered, using the powders that are needed for the restoration his master has ordered.  With a flash of bright light, Hawke blinks rapidly and for a moment he doesn’t realize why.

“I can see!” the human whispers.  His thoughts are filled with disbelief.

“Yes,” Shaddar says, while mentally dismissing the gnome.  “A magical poison caused your blindness and Cutt has used his powers and reagents to provide an antidote, by my command.”

Hawke looks around in wonder for a moment at his own building before his gaze locks onto Shaddar’s grim visage.  Shaddar wonders what the man’s reaction will be to seeing that he is not human at all.  Hawke’s reaction is interesting and reassuring.

“Boss?  So.  That explains that,” he whispers.  Hawke is thinking of the odd sounds that he has heard Shaddar make and cares not at all about exactly what his ally and employer is.  In fact, he is happy to see the writhing tentacles as he thinks, “The Boss is going to pass the first challenge without any problem.  Good.  We’ll be running the old guild and the new one in no time.  Oh, yes.  I’m going to cut out the Guildmaster’s eyeballs and keep ‘em in a jar of my finest liquor…”

Hawke whispers his thanks to Shaddar with a trembling voice, “I was already your man, Boss, but this gift is more than I ever hoped to be rewarded with!”

“You will live worthy of my largesse, Hawke, I’m sure of that.”  And he is…because if Hawke ever disappoints him, then the human will curse the day that he was born.

Chapter 1               < Chapter 36               Chapter 38 >

No comments:

Post a Comment